Food Services Staff – Cook, Baker and Catering
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE: Meal and salad bar preparation, serving food, cleaning (including dishes, kitchen and dining hall), and heavy lifting.
QUALIFICATIONS: Cooking experience a must. Applicant must be reliable and personable. Applicant must also have ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced-environment. (For further details, please refer to the job description below).
- Includes working a variety of shifts (morning, afternoon, evening, weekend shifts).
- Environment is fast-paced.
- Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
- Must be reliable and personable.
- Training and aprons provided.
The review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit a resume and covering letter to:
Jennifer Kimball, CPA, CA
Chief Financial Officer
160 Dundas Street West, Belleville, Ontario K8P 1A6
Fax: 613.968.9651 firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Albert College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Please contact us if you require this posting in an alternate format. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise us if you require accommodation.
REPORTS TO: Food Services Manager
To participate and lead in the hot and cold food production of Albert College during specific time periods, to meet the diverse needs of the Food Services Department including meals for customers in the Albert College, Ackerman Dining Hall, EPLC, Café and catered events.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for preparing and overseeing the preparation, production and presentation of specific hot and cold food menu selections for a designated time period or shift.
- Responsible for the effective operation of the kitchen (unless notified differently) by supervising other kitchen staff once the manager has left the premises and ensuring the kitchen is left clean at the end of an evening shift ready for the next working day.
- Responsibilities utilizing current industry and recognized culinary techniques in production, presentation and service to assure quality. Provides high quality food in a professional and efficient manner.
- Participates in the production of meals and food items by following established menus; performing and/or observing methods of preparation; sampling prepared dishes; viewing colour, texture and garnishments; verifying portion sizes; taking note of special nutritional needs and dietary restrictions of customers.
- Discusses shift production requirements including recipe, production, portion, and presentation with Manager.
- Maintains cleanliness, sanitation, health and safety policies by observing federal, provincial and municipal regulations; maintaining first aid and CPR certification.
- Completes tasks in a timely manner to ensure meal time parameters are met.
- Maintains cost control by following accurate portioning.
- Report all culinary equipment defects, safety issues and food related concerns to the Manager.
- Completes records and meal counts as required.
- Operates all kitchen equipment including choppers, mixers, ovens and specialty equipment in a safe manner.
- Prepares and cooks menu items using various cooking methods including frying, steaming, poaching, grilling, roasting, sauté, broiling and baking.
- As requested or time permits, does prep work for future requirements/meals.
- Ability to prepare menu items from raw/scratch and pre-prepared states. Cook and prepare such items as meat, fish, sauces, soups, vegetables, salads, stocks and other menu items.
- Adheres to all pre-set standards of culinary quality and consistency.
- Knowledgeable of the products produced and provides accurate information to staff and customers as requested. Seeks information from Manager for situations that require an in-depth response.
- Maintains a clean and safe (Health & Safety and Food Safety) work environment at all times.
- Assists other team members in any capacity as required.
- Perform other duties as required to contribute to the team effort and achieve the objectives of the Food Services Department.
- Helps to organize, create and participate in special events.
- Assists in ensuring the day to day operations run smoothly on a trouble-free basis.
- Maintain and uphold all of the College’s Health and Safety Policies including but not limited to following safe work procedures, knowing and complying with all the laws and regulations, reporting any injury or illness immediately, reporting unsafe acts and conditions along with the overriding principle of taking reasonable precautions in the circumstances to protect his/herself.
- Other duties as required by the Food Services Manager.
Staff required to wear prescribed items for the department as per hygiene/safety requirements including but not limited to clean uniform, closed toe anti slip footwear, hair net, apron, oven mitts, gloves and any other station specific safety clothing or equipment. Heavy lifting on a daily basis and long periods of standing.
Preferred job qualifications:
- Two years of cooking experience (Red Seal is an asset)
- Strong Baking Skills
- Flexibility to work additional hours as requested and as possible
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills for dealing with prospective families, current parents, students, faculty and all members of the community.
- A current security check.
Employee will require the following certification:
- Food Handlers Certificate
- First aid Standard 2-day course
- WHIMS training
If the employee does not have certification, then he/she agrees to enrol in the above courses leading to the successful completion of a certificate in these programs.
Note: Personal effects including jewellery that may cause personal injury or sanitary hazards and use of perfumes/scents as determined by Food Service Manager are strictly prohibited.