Our History

 

  • 1857: Belleville Seminary was established by the Methodist Episcopal Church on College Street East. 
  • 1866: Name was changed from Belleville Seminary to Albert College for male students and incorporated with the University of Toronto. For female students, a unit of its own was created within Albert College called the Belleville Ladies College. 
  • 1871-1884: Albert University was established and was able to grant university degrees. Alexandria College was a sub-division of Albert University.
  • 1877: A commercial department opened within Albert University and became known as the Belleville Business College in 1884. The Belleville Business College remained there for a number of years before relocating in the local area. 
  • 1884: Albert College incorporated with Victoria College.
  • 1896: Massey Hall was added to the campus. 
  • 1917: Albert College was partially destroyed by a fire (mostly Massey Hall). 
  • 1923: Construction began of the current building on Dundas Street West, and was transformed into a boys’-only educational institution.
  • 1926: School started in September for the first time in the new building.  
  • 1928: Junior boys (Grade 7 and 8) education was offered at Albert College.  
  • 1934: A few female day students were admitted to Albert College. 
  • 1935: Co-educational education was offered again and a girls’ residence (The Manor) was purchased. 
  • 1936- 1941: Queen’s University first and second year courses were offered at Albert College. 
  • 1957: Construction of a new addition began to the girls’ residence. 
  • 1971: Boys’ residence (Graham Hall) was damaged in a fire.  
  • 1980: Junior girls’ residence was damaged by a fire (mostly the old original section). 
  • 1993: Junior School was built. 
  • 2010: Early Primary Learning Centre (EPLC) was added to form Albert College’s Pre-Kindergarten program. 
  • 2015: Drive-ways and parking lots were re-paved, the main sports field was rebuilt to include better drainage and an irrigation system.